Given that we're now less than two months from the end of 2014, it's probably a good idea to pause for a moment and take the pulse on my 21 Promises before the rest of the year gets away from me.
2. Run a 1:48 half-marathon. STATUS: Ummmm...
3. Complete 15 road/trail/obstacle races. STATUS: Number of 2014 races completed to date...seven. [stupid leg]. I've got four more races on my calendar. I'm no mathematician but it's not looking good for this one. Perhaps I could convince the judges that the DC Ragnar Relay should count as three races since I ran three different legs- but that still only leaves me at 13.
4. Set personal records in 4 distances. STATUS: Number of PRs achieved this year...zero [stupid leg]. BUT I did get my first two age group awards in June (1st Place Team- Female Friends Division, Reston Relay Sprint Triathlon) and July (1st Place Female Competitor- Brick Division, Down and Dirty Obstacle Race DC). How does that happen BTW?! I've been running for years and I don't place in my age group until this year when I've spent more than 7 months injured and unable to train- what sense does that make?! Anyway, I'll have to get creative with this one.
6. Reach a body fat percentage of 17.5% . STATUS: Frankly, I don't want to know where I'm at on this one... okay, that's a lie, I got assessed this week and it's not close :( My injured leg combined with no sleep and mass quantities of stress have severely hampered my ability to make progress on this one. Gotta get refocused but with the holidays right around the corner, this is gonna be a challenge. Oh wait, I have an idea...
|What?! I COULD work. Plus, it's fast, easy and fun!|
8. Take 2 SUP classes & do 3 practice sessions. STATUS: Sadly, not going to happen this year. I had one class and one practice session before the cold weather moved in.
|Not cool, Dr. Evil...|
11. Learn to swim (
15. 20 blog posts. STATUS: Well...you know...I'm working on it.
16. Be nicer to Alison. STATUS: I've had a few significant setbacks but I've also made major improvements here. I feel like I'm on the right track now and at this rate, the average (all things considered) should easily allow me to call this one complete by year end.
17. No more soda. STATUS: So far so good. 2014 has been soda-free to date!
20. Read 6 books. STATUS: Number of books read so far this year...two :(
21. Inspire someone else to do something awesome. STATUS: I've seen a number of people do some pretty awesome things this year; HOWEVER, I feel very strongly that I shouldn't be the judge of (a) whether something rises to the level of "awesome" and (b) whether I actually inspired said awesome thing. Therefore, I've decided to wait until the end of the year and poll everyone I know to see what their thoughts are on this one. Stay tuned!!
So it would appear I've got some work to do- 11.5 Promises to get done and only 40 days to do it. Fasten your seat belts kids, it's going to be a crazy six weeks!